Sunday 28 June 2009

"I'm rather like a foreman, like the boss of a team of craftsmen. That is the spirit of how I work." - Hayao Miyazaki

Continuing on...

As Miyazaki and Takahata became more prominent in the animation sector of the industry, they were offered more and more opportunities to work on feature length projects.

Takahata worked on Downtown Story (1981) and Goshu the Cellist (1982), while Miyazaki landed his first feature-length directing job with Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979). Soon after, however, with no other feature-length direction opportunities, Miyazaki returned to working on TV shows.

With more time on his hands Miyazaki began work on a manga project entitled Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Part way through its run, Nausicaa's success lead to a film adaptation being greenlit. Miyazaki was of course to direct and he brought in Takahata to produce the film which partly because of its popularity in its original manga form, was a great success for the pair.



Tokuma Shoten, the company that owned the magazine in which the original Nausicaa manga was published agreed to help fund a new animation studio venture where artists and directors would be in charge and freedom of expression would play a big role in all undertaken projects. This was of course, the beginnings of Studio Ghibli.



Ok, so there we have the origins of Studio Ghibli, Isao Takahata and Hayao Miyazaki's successes. Next comes the part that I'll enjoy a hell of a lot more. I'm going to write about the Studio Ghibli films that I have on DVD interspersed with some posts on themes and other things etc. I'm not really going to review them as its pretty obvious that I like 'em, but I'll find something interesting to say, I'm sure.

I was just going to go through the films in chronological order, but that would be dull, so I've picked one out of a hat and the first one is Howl's Moving Castle, so that's what I'll be writing about next time (unless I write about something else first :) ).

Until then..

No comments:

Post a Comment